5 Affordable At-Home Dry Hair Treatments That Actually Work
Are you having a tough time keeping your hair in top shape while you’re staying at home? Don’t let the summer heat dry out your hair. Treat yourself with easy and affordable at-home hair treatments until you can book your next salon visit.
From items you can find in your pantry, to having at-home keratin treatment with easy to find products from the supermarket, we’ve rounded up these mild and safe-to-use ingredients as your at-home dry hair treatments that can work magic for moderate damage to dry hair.
Pantene 3-Minute Miracle Conditioner
The Pantene Keratin Straight Miracle Conditioner offers the best convenience at home to treat dry hair and reduce its frizz. This keratin conditioner contains a unique blend of Pantene’s powerful Pro-Vitamin B5, and keratin strengtheners that nourish the hair, keeping it silky smooth and smelling amazing all day. Out of all the ingredients on this list, this product comes as close as a rinse-off treatment. Pantene’s Advanced Conditioning Technology improves intensely damaged hair and dry scalp -- the best option for those struggling to enhance their hair condition.
This is what makes Pantene the #1 conditioner in the market.
WHO: Perfect for dry, dull, and frizzy hair.
WHEN: Use daily to address your hair's needs.
- Apply to shampooed, damp hair, from root to tip.
- Massage into hair to ensure each strand feels the benefit.
- Let it work its magic for three minutes.
- Rinse well.
- Enjoy your beautifully conditioned, shiny, healthy locks
Mayonnaise is one of the most famous at-home dry hair treatment ingredients. It is inexpensive and an effective way to provide nourishment with its many hair benefits. It nourishes the scalp with its rich content of L-cysteine, an amino acid, and nourishing oils, keeping moisture locked in. Using mayonnaise smoothens frizz, keeping hair from tangling, but it may leave a lingering scent on the hair, so you might want to try this on a day you don’t have plans to go out immediately!
WHO: Best for those with thick and textured hair to avoid breakage.
WHEN: Doing this treatment once a week will leave a nice sheen to your locks.
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- Dampen your hair.
- Section hair into 4 parts for easier application.
- Coat each section with mayonnaise and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash the mayonnaise off using shampoo and condition hair.
Hot Essential Oils
Essential oils are extracts of fruits, vegetables, and other plant-based ingredients. Not only are essential oils an affordable at-home hair treatment option, but they also leave your hair smelling great! Sealing the hair cuticle with concentrated natural compounds, essential oils help protect your hair from breakage while providing moisture to reduce dryness. Essential oils are available at health food stores and can also be found in the supermarket.
WHO: Best for fine-textured and dry hair a hot essential oil treatment will liven up your ‘do.
WHEN: Nurture your hair once a week with this treatment.
- 2 tablespoons of Olive oil
- 2 drops of Ylang-ylang oil
- 2 drops of Lavender oil
- 2 drops of Jojoba oil
- Cover hair with a shower cap and leave for at least 20 minutes.
- Wash your hair
- Pour 2 tbsp. of olive oil in a small bottle and place the bottle in a pot of boiling water until the oil is warm.
- Add the other essential oils in the bottle and mix well.
- Massage the oil mixture into the scalp from roots to ends.
- Wash oil away with shampoo and conditioner.
Like many other natural oils, castor oil is packed with antioxidants that benefit the hair and scalp. It is rich in fatty acids that trap moisture, leaving hair smoother and shinier. From its hair strengthening abilities to nourishing, anti-hair loss, and hydration properties, your hair will feel healthier with castor oil. If your hair is getting frizzy due to the humidity, you can also use castor oil as an at-home treatment to keep your strands replenished with moisture.
WHO: Best for thin hair that is feeling dry, frizzy. Also great for dry scalps.
WHEN: Keep your hair looking sleek by doing this once a week.
- 3 tablespoons of castor oil
- 1 tablespoon of argan oil
- Dampen your hair.
- Combine both oils in a bottle and shake to mix.
- Section your hair for even application.
- Apply to your hair, making sure all areas are covered including the scalp.
- Massage oils into the scalp for 5 minutes.
- Wash hair with shampoo and conditioner.
Banana Hair Mask
Packed with potassium and other nutrients, bananas aren’t just a healthy snack, they’re also great ingredients for at-home dry hair treatments. Bananas have silicon compounds that help strengthen and maintain the elasticity of hair, keeping it lustrous and preventing breakage. Apart from that, bananas also provide hydration and moisturize hair restoring its natural bounce.
WHO: Best for frizzy and wavy hair. This treatment can help relieve dry and itchy scalps as well.
WHEN: Use this mask once a week to add gloss and strengthen your hair.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Dampen hair
- Mash 2 bananas in a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey and mix well until it becomes a smooth mixture.
- Apply the banana and honey mix on your scalp and hair strands.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash hair and condition it to keep it shiny.
Giving your hair the love and care it needs should not just be when you schedule keratin treatments during salon visits. Treating your hair and giving it the TLC it deserves is easier than you think when you find the right ingredients and affordable at-home dry hair treatments!